Being a vegetarian during the summer months can be a little daunting. Get an invitation to a BBQ? Better hope there are some veggie friendly side dishes to fill up on! Sure there are plenty of veggie burgers out there but from my experience they just don’t taste that great cooked on a grill. And don’t even get me started on cross contamination issues. Cook my quinoa burger in the same spot you just grilled that beef? No thanks, I’ll just nibble on some carrot sticks over here thankyouverymuch.
I’ve gone off topic, sorry. This portobello mushroom sliders are perfection. You can either grill the mushrooms or roast them in the oven. You can also grill the onions but I have lost way too many onions that way so now I just throw them in the oven instead.
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
- 1 cup BBQ sauce, store bought or homemade
- 1 red onion, cut into rounds
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 slider buns
- extra BBQ sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut portobello caps into halves or small enough to fit on the slider buns. Coat with BBQ sauce. Either grill or roast in the oven, 5-10 minutes.
- Brush the onion rounds with olive oil and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until tender and slightly golden, 25-30 minutes.
- Assemble sliders: bottom bun, arugula, mushroom, onion, then top bun. Putting the mushroom on top of the arugula helps keep it on the bun. Drizzle additional BBQ sauce if desired.