I just took my vegan cheese game to the NEXT LEVEL with this mozzarella recipe. I was skeptical when I saw it, but it really is AH-mazing!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch (no substitutions, this is what makes it stretch)
- 1/2 tsp salt (you could leave it out, but it really helps with the flavor)
- bowl of ice water
- Blend all ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and cook over medium to medium-high heat, whisking continuously.
- Keep whisking! You cannot walk away from this process.
- As the mixture heats, it will start to form clumps. Keep whisking until the mixture is smooth, gooey and very thick and pulls away from the sides of the pan. It doesn’t take long.
- Remove from heat.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, make balls and drop them into the ice water bath. The balls will hold together and you’ll be able to shape them if the edges are a little ragged.
- Store refrigerated in an airtight container. Stays fresh for about 2 days.
Recipe adapted from: Helyn’s Kitchen